Sunday, October 7, 2012

SisterHood

 

I recently watched the new show on OWN ‘Iyanla Fix My Life’ about ‘The Six Brown Chicks’. These are a group of black women who started a blog together to empower women of all kinds. Ego’s got in the way, greed, jealousy, anger, and hurt feelings contributed to the end of the creative blog.
This particular show was so emotional, Iyanla made these women get up close and personal, deep and raw with their feelings. I used to be one of those women who didn’t trust another woman, who didn’t speak to the sister next to me, and wasn’t friendly enough for her to speak to me. As black women we treat each other so bad, we walk past one another without a simple ‘Hello’ or even a smile. We hurt each other deeply, we turn on each other we turn our back on each other.
Well I don’t do that anymore, I have grown and changed. I am a woman and another woman can’t intimidate me, frighten me, make me feel envious or inferior. I speak to other woman in my near space especially another brown woman. I have a daughter and if I want her learn good morals and values and just plain ‘ol respect for your sisters I have to lead by example. A few years ago I gathered with a group of women in my life who all have a place in my heart, we started a pit fire and threw our fears in the fire. That was the beginning for me, I remember my writings and it took a while but I out lived that fear. I now have a new fear. As we grow its only human to have many fears but it’s only right to let them last only a little while, it’s time to do something with this fear in my heart, my soul, this fear of being alone on my mind, has to go.
It takes time and growth to realize our power. It takes a sisterhood to get through some things. With all the things we have going on nowadays, commitments, marriages, babies, jobs, ups and downs having a sister whether blood or by choice is a necessity in a woman’s life.
I’m just saying, if I haven’t said I love you lately
I love You